Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Marble Lessons

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." ~Angela Schwindt

A few days ago, my daughter was busy building a castle.  She'd found some old candlesticks, marbles, vases, and various other odds-and-ends and was carefully joining them together.  "See what I'm making, Mommy?"  I knelt down to get a closer look.  It was amazing to see her imagination, and patience, at work.

I sat there for a moment, watching as she carefully balanced the orange, blue and white marbles atop a few old candlesticks.  Not an easy feat, but she was persistent.  Every time the marbles tumbled down I found myself wanting to take over.  I just wanted to show her the best way, the right way... my way.  I said, "Here, let Mommy show you..."  She just looked at me and said, "It's alright.  I'm not mad."  Not mad?

Suddenly I realized what she meant... I'm not mad like you.  I admit I was starting to feel slightly irritated.  I just wanted to help her succeed.  I wanted her to reach the goal... if those marbles would just stay where they were meant to stay, she'd accomplish the task.  Surely I, the adult, could manipulate those stubborn little things.

As I sat back, contemplating my strategy, guess what happened?  My daughter's patience and persistence paid off.  "Look at what I did, Mom!  Isn't it beautiful?"

Yes, it was beautiful... to see a daughter teach her mother a thing or two.  What pleased her most wasn't the end result... she demolished her creation soon after construction was complete.  No, she was pleased that she had accomplished the task in her time, her way... the best way.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.-Proverbs 3:5

Lord, help me be patient and enjoy life as I live it.  I don't know the exact plans You have for me, but I know they are plans for welfare and not for evil, to give me a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11).  Help me loosen my grip on the reins and entrust You with my life.  You're already in control, I just have to admit it.  Thank you for always being there, even when the walls... or marbles... come tumbling down.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa