Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wintry Wreath


I originally created this wreath with Thanksgiving in mind... 
but as I went along, I opted not to use color,
so it turned out looking like a wintry wreath instead.


Here's what I used to make it:

1 paper plate
2 or 3 sheets of white paper
scallop-edged scissors
black watercolor/fine-tipped brush
white glue
white glitter
ribbon

First I cut out the center of the paper plate.

Next, I started cutting out my leaves.  
The larger leaves in the back rows measure about 4" by 2".  
The small leaves in the front are about 2" by 1".  

I used 18 large leaves (9 with words), 
and 10 small leaves (2 are hidden behind the ribbon).

I then used black watercolor to paint words 
that represent a few things I'm thankful for.

Here's an illustration to show what I did in the next steps:
 I placed the paper plate upside down on the table. 
Next I arranged the large leaves ~ the pattern I used was: 
plain leaf, with word, plain leaf...  

I then glued them down
~ using as little glue as possible ~
covering the inside edge.

I glued the small leaves down over the plain leaves,
and slightly curled the edge for some dimension.

I used glue and glitter to make designs on the leaves like this:
The final touch was finding the right ribbon to hang my creation.
This September, I was a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding.
That silvery, satiny ribbon once wrapped around the bouquet I carried. 

Isn't it beautiful?
 
I knew I'd find a good use for it!

 
Hope you enjoyed this simple wintry wreath...
I'm thankful you stopped by!



"Winter is the time for comfort... 
it is the time for home."

~ Edith Sitwell ~

3 comments:

  1. I love your wintry wreath, simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! I thought of you today and hoped you were having a great day!

    I love your craft ideas! This is so simple and pretty, and I so appreciate that I don't need to go and buy a lot of stuff.

    I hope you have a wonderful week-end with your family. Thank-you for your friendship, and yes, like you commented earlier, often times that is all we can say...thank-you...but it is enough
    God bless you as you continue to bless others by sharing your various talents here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, I like the snowiness and simplicity of it!

    *thanks for the blog visit* Happy WOYWW xx

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa